La Marzocco GB5 Specifications and Features
The GB5 is perhaps best known as being the understated powerhouse of the La Marzocco range. It could trick you with its elegant, traditionally Italian curves – but thanks to La Marzocco’s commitment to provide the same cup quality across their entire range, here we find a machine that isn’t just a pretty face, but boasts the essential technological advancements that make La Marzoccos the essential machines that they are today.
These are outlined below for you.
- Dual boilers – as with all La Marzocco machines, here you find two boilers operating inside the machine – one that focusses all its attention on your espresso brewing being consistent every time; the other deals with providing you continuous steam, at the same pressure, at the same ‘wetness’ all the time. As usual, stability and consistency will not be an issue for you in service (this goes for any other suitably-sized La Marzocco machine from the range).
- Thermal stability system – the GB5 arranges its pipework to promote thermal stability. As water passes through each heating element, temperature is further stabilised. At the peak of your coffee output rate during a given day, this machine will not falter in thermal stability nor pressure regulation of its boilers, no matter how much you think you’re ‘overworking it’.
- PID – for a machine that looks this traditionally curvy and elegant, you may be surprised that it manages to also house a PID system. This aids pressure regulation and in effect manages the boilers during service. To you this means not having to worry about your machine being capable of producing statistically identical shots time after time. Is this your main concern? If so, speak to us about further helping to avoid this issue by choosing the right grinder.
- Ruby flow restrictors – this may sound like total jargon, and in effect it is. But it’s jargon that matters to your coffee output. Ruby is a material that will not scale or corrode at all, no matter what water goes through your machine’s pipework. Why does it matter? Any changes in the performance of your flow restrictors causes you issues in maintaining the same recipe time after time. If your flow restrictors go off kilter, your flow rate goes all over the place, and suddenly you can’t make the same espresso twice. La Marzocco avoid you having to worry about this problem by building the GB5 with ruby restrictors instead of cheap metal versions that other providers of espresso equipment choose.
- Mechanical paddle or digitally controlled versions – with the GB5 you may opt for the more manual paddle operated brewing system, or opt for the digitally-controlled model that allows you more immediate, easy control of a number of variables that you may choose to fine-tune. The paddle allows you to control how long you use low pressure for at the start of the brewing cycle, which can effectively reduce uneven water flow through the espresso in your coffee baskets. This helps you mitigate any issues you may have with your grinder being a little less than excellent, and too allows you more complete control of your espresso brewing every time, if a more ‘manual’ brewing style is your thing. Want the same benefits but using the digital version without the ‘manual’ flair? We can help you out upon installing and calibrating the machine for you, so no worries.
- Hot water control – with the GB5 you can fine-tune the temperature at which your hot water spout dispenses. We recommend the spout being used only for portafilter rinsing and cosmtic cleaning of the GB5, but this is also a worthwhile feature if you ever need it as a backup for your Americano water or tea brewing.
- Stainless steel portafilters – as standard, La Marzoccos arrive with stainless steel portafilters. This means clean, taint-free espresso for you all day, every day, with minimal maintenance required too. No more tarry espresso taints building up below your espresso basket, tainting every shot with heavy, bitter flavour and reducing clarity and sweetness in each cup.
- Precision portafilters – your double-spouted portafilters will weigh the same upon arrival, eaing you won’t need to tare your scales when you move from using one side of the machine to the next. This will save you a serious amount of time, error and waste in the long run and is a benefit not to be ignored!
Optional features worth thinking about:
- Auto Steam – an automatic milk program that can stop at the temperature you require for your milk-based beverages.
- High legs – useful for cleaning underneath the machine, which usually is a difficult task! Also recommended if you wish to avoid RSI or excessive strain for any staff using the machine, at any low-medium counter height.
- Custom colour – order this machine in any RAL colour of your choice for an extra fee. This can make your kit truly unique and eye-catching, and may be the difference between someone simply walking past your shop without noticing your coffee set-up, or walking in after being drawn to the La Marzocco machine. This is something that regularly occurs now in the UK, as La Marzocco have built an excellent reputation through building quality machinery that performs and stands the test of time.
- Barista lights – a useful extra for eyeing every little detail of the espresso flowing from your machine, and makes for great coffee marketing. Brilliant for anyone making coffee for espresso martinis or in a late night coffee service, when natural light is low and you cannot assess the quality of your espresso flow.
La Marzocco GB5 Prices
For the latest La Marzocco GB5 prices, make sure you get in touch with us here at Ue Coffee Roasters as you may qualify for additional discount.
Is a La Marzocco GB5 Right for Me?
If you’re wondering whether the La Marzocco GB5 is right for you, or if a different model would be better for your specific circumstances, we can lend a helping hand. We’ll listen to what you want out of an espresso machine and discuss all the different options to ensure you end up with a machine perfect for your needs.
We can also guide you through all the various options, from renting espresso machines, to buying them outright, or finding second hand ones. We can also ensure you have all the necessary accompanying equipment, such as commercial grinders.
Buying an espresso machine is a big decision so let us help you understand everything you need to consider. We can guide you through the whole journey so you end up with a machine that works for you.