Ue Latte Art Throw Down Rules
Latte Art Throwdown Rules
This is a tournament run by a ladder system; there must be an even amount of competitors to balance the numbers. Competitors names will be drawn out at the start in pairs and the winner of each pair will go on to the next pairing until only two remain and a winner is announced. Just like Tennis and many other sporting events peeps!
Each competitor must pour 1 x flat white and 1 x piccolo from the same vessel of milk. There is a limit of 3 minutes.
A. Competitor Signup
• Limited to 32 competitors
• The 32 are determined by first come/first serve. If there are people still wanting to compete after the 32 spaces are filled, then they will be signed up first for the following throw down. If they do not show up their slot will be up for grabs.
• In order to participate, the competitor must have experience with espresso preparation and the equipment used to do so. In addition, the competitor must have experience pouring milk-based beverages.
B. Competition time/Competitor requirements
• Competitor will have his or her number called, and must be available and ready to compete while the number that is 2 before them is currently competing.
• Competitor will have 3 minutes total behind the machine. It is not necessary to fill the whole 3 minutes.
• Competitors will have to pull their own shots, they will not be poured for them.
• Each competitor will get one pitcher/jug of milk, and only one opportunity to steam.
• Spilled milk will be handled case by case.
• A selection of cups will be provided for the competitor to choose from, but the competitor can bring his or her own pitcher/jug of choice, as long as it is solid and non-patterned and has no logo or brand. Splitting milk is allowed.
• Espresso and milk are provided, and those are the only choices. Competitors MAY NOT bring their own espresso or milk.
• The latte art be must free pour, no etching or sauces allowed. Only ingredients will be espresso and milk.
• Once the drinks are poured the competitor will place it on the designated space to be judged.
• The drinks will be judged in 4 categories.
Balance & Symmetry
Dividing lines are clean, even, and show no signs of hesitation.
Individual elements work well with and compliment each other.
Colour Infusion & Definition
The contrast between the whiteness of the foam, and the darkness of the crema
How infused or intertwined the brownness of the crema is with the whiteness of the foam
The intention of the design is obvious and clear
Use of Space
The design fills the cup with in an appropriate and pleasant way
The design neither crowds the cup, nor leaves it feeling empty or unfinished
There is a harmony between the size of the cup and size of the design
General aesthetic appeal
Drink is free of spill marks and cup is appropriately full of liquid
There will be 3 judges. Two main judges and a tie-breaker judge. After the two sets of coffees are on the judges bench/space, on the count of 3 with no discussion the two judges will point at the winning set. In the case of a draw the tiebreaker judge shall decide on the winning set, under the same rules, no discussion and on a count of 3.
Wherever possible there should be no conflict of interest between competitors and judges, i.e. partners, business partners, co-workers or friends.